Research & Peer Reviewed Publications
CLINICAL TRIALS / RESEARCH GRANTS:
1. Arnold P Gold Foundation Grant – Recipient:
Grant for development of a Residency Ritual – Oath Creation Program designed to promote humanism in medicine among incoming residents [2012-2015]
2. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Prospective, Multicenter, Double-Blind With In-House Blinding, Randomized, Comparative Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability, of Ertapenem Sodium Versus Piperacillin/Tazobactam in the Treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections in Hospitalized Adults. (STITCH STUDY) Protocol 037 – ERT516 [2001 – 2004]
3. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
Evaluation of the Ability of the 8 Gauge Hand Held Mammotome and the 11 Gauge Hand Held Mammotome Breast Biopsy Systems to Completely Remove a Low-Risk Palpable Mass under Ultrasound Guidance – CM-00-0004 [2001 – 2003]
A Prospective, Multicenter, Double Blind with In-House Blinding, Randomized, Comparative Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety, and tolerability of Ertapenam Versus Piperacillin/ Tazobactam in the Treatment of Diabetic Foot Infections in adults [2001 – 2004]
5. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Prospective, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Comparative Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of a Single Dose of Ertapenem Sodium MK-0826) versus Cefotetan for the Prophylaxis of Surgical Site Infection Following Elective Colorectal Surgery. (PREVENT STUDY) Protocol 039-01 [2002-2005]
SAGES EGD Outcomes Study Group [A prospective analysis of 3525 esophagogastroduodenoscopies performed by surgeons. Surgical Endoscopy 2004 18(1): 11-21]
7. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
An Open-label, Large Simple Usual Care Study of the Effect of Adding Rofecoxib 50 mg to a Regimen of Selected Opioid Analgesic PRN in Patients Undergoing Selected Outpatient Surgical Procedures [VIOXX Protocol: 0302-0] [2003-2004]
8. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Phase 3 Study to Compare the Safety and Efficacy of Intravenous Doripenem with that of Meropenem in Complicated Intra-abdominal Infections [Protocol DORI-07] [2004-2005]
9. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Phase 3b, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Study of Alvimopan for the Management of Postoperative Ileus [Protocol 14CL314] [2005-2006]
10. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study of Intravenous Methylnaltrexone (MOA-728) for the Treatment of Post Operative Ileus. [Wyeth Research Protocol No.3200L2-300-WW] 
11. PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR:
A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study ofIntravenous Methylnaltrexone (MOA-728) for the Treatment of Postoperative Ileus Following Ventral Hernia Repair. [Wyeth Research Protocol No.3200L2-301-WW] 
1. Guyton D, Horattas M: Chapter 99: Concepts in Hernia Repair, Surgery for Necrotizing Fascitis and Drainage of Subphrenic Abscess. Chassin’s Operative Strategy in General Surgery: An Expositive Atlas. 4th edition. 2014.
2. Horattas M: Pheochromocytoma: The Five Minute Clinical Consult – 2012, edited by Griffith W & Dambro M. Lea & Febiger Co. 2012.
3. Horattas M: Paget’s Disease of the Breast: The Five Minute Clinical Consult – 2011, edited by Griffith W & Dambro M. Lea & Febiger Co. 2011.
4. Duggal N, Horattas M: Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma to the Thyroid Gland. Endocrine Pract. 2008 Nov;14(8):1040-6.
5. Horattas M: Primary Aldosteronism: The Five Minute Clinical Consult – 2010, edited by Griffith W & Dambro M. Lea & Febiger Co. 2010.
6. Bazan S, Hatjis C, Horattas M: A Novel Approach to Maternal Primary Hyperparathyroidism in Pregnancy The Female Patient. November 2008 33(11).
7. Paranjape C, Horattas M: Appendicitis in the Elderly – A Change in the Laparoscopic Era. Surgical Endoscopy. Volume 21, Number 5, May 2007 , pp. 777-781(5)
8. Horattas M: Choledocholithiasis and Cholangitis: The Five Minute Clinical Consult – 2007, edited by Griffith W & Dambro M. Lea & Febiger Co. 2007.
9. Horattas M, Evans S, Sloan-Stakleff K, Lee C, Snoke J: Does Preoperative Rofecoxib (Vioxx) Decrease Postoperative Pain with Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy? American Journal of Surgery. 188 (2004) 271-276.
10. Aouthmany A, Horattas M: Ileal Pouch Perforation in Pregnancy. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. Feb. 2004, 47(2): 243-245.
11. Horattas M, Haller N, Ricchiuti D: Increased Transperitoneal Bacterial Translocation in Laparoscopic Surgery - relative effects of type of gas and insufflation pressure in an animal model of peritonitis. Surgical Endoscopy. 2003. 17(9): 1464-7.
12. Storm-Dickerson T, Horattas M. What Have We Learned over the Past 20 Years about Appendicitis in the Elderly? The American Journal of Surgery. March 2003 185(3): 198-201.
13. Murthy A, Chandawarkar R, Horattas M: Diagnostic & Surgical Dilemmas - Gastric Schwannoma. Contemporary Surgery. April 2002. 58(4): 197-199.
14. Murthy A, Chandawarkar R, Horattas M: Sacrococcygeal Chordoma. Contemporary Surgery. December 2001. 57(12): 617-620.
15. Gupta A, Horattas M, Shorten S, Moattari AR: Disseminated Brown Tumors from Hyperthyroidism Masquerading as Metastatic Cancer -–A complication of parathyroid cancer. The American Surgeon. October 2001. 67(10): 951-955.
16. Kovalchin J, Murthy A, Horattas M, Guyton D, Chandawarkar R: Determinants of Efficacy of Immunotherapy with Tumor-Derived Heat Shock Protein gp96. Cancer Immunotherapy. April 27, 2001. 1:7-15.
17. Horattas M: Venous Access Port Problems eMedicine: Emergency Medicine [serial online]. 2001. http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic472.htm
18. Horattas M, Trupiano J, Hopkins S, Pasini D, Martino C, Murthy A: Changing Concepts in Long Term Central Venous Access-Catheter Selection and Cost Savings. American Journal of Infection Control, February 2001, 29(1): 32-40.
19. Horattas, M: Gallbladder Duplication and Laparoscopic Management Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. 1998, 8:4 231-235.
20. Horattas M, Evasovich M: What is the Significance of Peritoneal Cytology with Colorectal Carcinoma? Cancer Detection and Prevention. November 1998. Volume 22, supplement 1.
21. Horattas M, Evasovich M, Kamienski R, Hopkins S, Muakkassa F: Perioperative Vasopressin Secretion Treated by Demeclocycline. The American Surgeon. March 1998, 64: 281-286.
22. Horattas M, Evasovich M, Topham N: Colorectal Carcinoma and the Relationship of Peritoneal Cytology. American Journal of Surgery. September 1997, 174:334-338.
23. Evasovich M, Clark T, Horattas M, Holda S, Treen L: Does Pneumoperitoneum during Laparoscopy Increase Bacterial Translocation? Surgical Endoscopy. December 1996, 10:1176-1179.
24. Horattas M, Lewis R, Fenton A, Awender H: Modern Concepts in Non-Surgical Management of Traumatic Biliary Fistulas (Abstract). Yearbook of Nuclear Medicine. 1995. 218-220.
25. Horattas M, Lewis R, Fenton A, Awender H: Modern Concepts in Non-Surgical Management of Traumatic Biliary Fistulas. The Journal of Trauma. February 1994, 36(2): 186-189.
26. Clark T, Kessler F, Schmidt B, Ely D, Janish S, Horattas M: Topically Applied Modified University of Wisconsin Solution Protects Small Bowel from Ischemic Injury. Thesis Publication, University of Akron. May 1994.
27. Grecula J, Clark T, Horattas M, Oddi M, Evans M: Innominate Artery Aneurysms: Report of a Case Review of the Literature. Surgical Rounds. February 1994 17(2): 95-102.
28. Clark T, Horattas M, Shorten S: Jejunal Diverticulosis. Surgical Rounds. September 1994, 17(0): 553-556.
29. Horattas M, Rosser J: A New and Simple Approach to Open Laparoscopy. Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics. March 1993. 176: 287-289.
30. Rosser J, Guyton D, Horattas M, et al: Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy: Operative Strategy for Acute Inflammation. Current Surgery. September1993. 50(7): 539.
31. Horattas M, Haught R: Managing Appendicitis in the Elderly Patient. AORN Journal. May 1992. 55(5): 1282-1285.
32. Horattas M, Guyton D, Wu D: A Reappraisal of Appendicitis in the Elderly (Abstract). Emergency Medicine News. December 1990. 11.
33. Horattas M, Guyton D, Wu D: A Reappraisal of Appendicitis in the Elderly. American Journal of Surgery. September 1990. 160(3): 291-293.
34. Horattas M, Wright D, Fenton A, Evans D, Oddi M, Kamienski R, Shield E: Changing Concepts of Deep Venous Thrombosis of the Upper Extremity-Report of a Series and Review of the Literature. (Abstract). Journal of the American Medical Association. February 3, 1989. 261(5): 759.
35. Horattas M, Wright D, Fenton A, Evans D, Oddi M, Kamienski R, Shield E: Changing Concepts of Deep Venous Thrombosis of the Upper Extremity-Report of a Series and Review of the Literature. Surgery. September 1988. 104(3): 561-567.
36. Horattas M, Moorman D: Cardiopulmonary Needle Embolization: A Complication of Central Venous Drug Abuse. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. January 1988. 6(1): 27-30.
37. Moorman D, Horattas M, Wright D, Kaufman K, Ruf W: Hickman Catheter Dislodgment Due to Pendulous Breasts. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Sept. /Oct. 1987. 11(5): 502-504.